Latest Mortgage & Property Market News
Here are the latest news from the BBC and the Council of Mortgage Lenders. Most recent press releases are listed first. Click on the title to read the full story.
- Indecisive buyers 'scupper house sales' BBC
14 May 2018
Indecisive buyers are a common cause of property sales falling through before completion, a survey claims.
- Up to a third of millennials 'face renting their entire life' BBC
17 April 2018
Up to a third of young people face living in private rented accommodation all their lives, a new report by the Resolution Foundation has found.
- House price growth subdued in March, says Nationwide BBC
29 March 2018
Annual house price growth remained subdued in March, according to the Nationwide building society.
- Big landlords are trying to solve Britain’s renting mess BBC
25 March 2018
Most people in the UK rent from small private landlords, often amateurs, with mixed results. Big investors are now building thousands of properties especially for rent, but will they be a better option?
- Low-deposit mortgages make a comeback BBC
12 March 2018
Mortgage products allowing applicants to put down a deposit of just 5% have become much more common in the past year, figures show.
- UK house price growth lowest for 5 years, says Halifax BBC
07 March 2018
The rate of house price growth in the UK slumped to just 1.8% in the year to February, according to the country's largest lender, the Halifax.
- UK house prices fell in February, Nationwide says BBC
01 March 2018
UK house prices have recorded their first month-on-month fall since August, according to the Nationwide.
- Foxtons hit as London housing market ebbs BBC
28 February 2018
Estate agent chain Foxtons has reported a slump in profits as it warns of a London housing market near historic lows.
- New schemes to help Welsh homebuyers launched BBC
28 February 2018
Two schemes designed to help more people buy homes in Wales will be launched by the Welsh Government on Wednesday.
- Mid-earners 'locked out of buying a home' BBC
16 February 2018
The extent to which young people are locked out of the British housing market has been revealed in new figures from economists.
- First-time buyers 'at 11-year high' BBC
13 February 2018
More first-time buyers took out mortgages in 2017 than in any year since the financial crisis.
- House prices fall for two months in a row, says Halifax BBC
07 February 2018
House prices have fallen for the last two months running, according to the UK's largest lender.
- House price growth in surprise pick-up, says Nationwide BBC
01 February 2018
Annual house price growth picked up to 3.2% in January, according to the Nationwide building society.
- Call for 'unfair' new-build leasehold ban in Wales BBC
31 January 2018
"Medieval" leasehold contracts for homes in Wales are unfair and should be outlawed in Wales, an AM has said.
- Borrowers ignoring mortgage timebomb, says FCA BBC
30 January 2018
Hundreds of thousands of homeowners could be at risk of losing their homes by ignoring how they will pay off their mortgage, a regulator has warned.
- Mortgage approvals at the lowest for five years BBC
25 January 2018
The number of mortgages given out by UK banks has dropped to its lowest level for nearly five years, according to industry figures.
- House price growth in Wales outstrips UK - Principality BBC
15 January 2018
Welsh house prices grew by 3.3% in 2017 - a slightly faster rate than the UK as a whole, latest figures have suggested.
- The areas where house prices rose fastest in 2017 BBC
11 January 2018
Homeowners in the East Midlands and Wales saw the value of their properties rise faster than anywhere else in the UK last year, according to the UK's largest mortgage lender.
- Sharp slowdown in house price growth in 2017, Halifax says BBC
08 January 2018
House prices grew much more slowly in 2017 than in the previous year, the UK's largest mortgage lender has reported.
- Buying a home: How long does it take to save a deposit? BBC
04 January 2018
Potential first-time buyers must typically save for eight years to afford a deposit to buy a home, data suggests.