Latest Mortgage & Property Market News
Here are the latest news from the BBC and the Council of Mortgage Lenders. Most recent press releases are listed first. Click on the title to read the full story.
- House price growth at six-year low BBC
17 April 2019
House prices rose in February at the slowest rate since September 2012 while in London house prices fell, the Office for National Statistics said.
- House prices 'subdued' amid Brexit impasse BBC
05 April 2019
UK house price growth will continue to be "subdued" during Brexit uncertainty - particularly in London, according to the Halifax.
- First house price fall in England since 2012 BBC
29 March 2019
House prices are lower in England compared with a year ago - the first annual fall in property values since 2012, according to the Nationwide.
- Mortgage prisoners' given help by City regulator BBC
26 March 2019
A change of rules aimed at helping lower the housing costs of thousands of so-called "mortgage prisoners" has been proposed by the City watchdog.
- Home leasehold system needs reform, say MPs BBC
19 March 2019
The UK's leasehold system has left a number of householders in unsellable and unmortgageable homes and changes are needed, a committee of MPs says.
- Is buying with friends the future of housing? BBC
05 March 2019
With house prices having risen over the last decade, many young people have found it tough to get on the property ladder. Some are choosing to co-buy with friends, but it is not without its risks.
- Housing costs: Five surprises explained BBC
24 February 2019
The UK's housing market is changing. People are renting for longer and buying their first home later.
- Most mortgages go to first-time buyers, Halifax research shows BBC
23 February 2019
First-time buyers now make up the majority of home purchases bought with a mortgage in the UK, figures show.
- Property repossessions 'lowest since 1980' BBC
14 February 2019
The number of homes repossessed in the UK fell to its lowest level since 1980 last year, industry figures show.
- Price of flats fell in England last year, says Land Registry BBC
13 February 2019
Buying a flat or maisonette in England is cheaper than a year ago, according to official figures, with the cost of semi-detached homes rising fastest.
- UK housing market experiences new year chill BBC
07 February 2019
UK house prices fell by 2.9% in January compared with December, according to the country's largest mortgage lender.
- House price growth at near six-year low BBC
31 January 2019
UK house prices grew at the slowest annual rate for nearly six years in January, according to the Nationwide.
- Housing market outlook worst 'for 20 years' BBC
17 January 2019
The housing market outlook over the next three months is the worst for 20 years, surveyors say.
- Brexit uncertainty hits house purchases BBC
16 January 2019
The West Midlands had the strongest annual house price growth across the UK in the 12 months to November 2018.
- Plan to free 'mortgage prisoners' revealed by FCA BBC
10 January 2019
The City regulator is planning a change of rules that could lower the housing costs of thousands of so-called "mortgage prisoners".