Latest Mortgage & Property Market News
Here are the latest news from the BBC and the Council of Mortgage Lenders. Most recent press releases are listed first. Click on the title to read the full story.
- House price growth at six-year low, says the Halifax BBC
07 October 2019
House prices are rising at the slowest annual pace for more than six years, according to the Halifax.
- House price growth 'almost ground to a halt' BBC
01 October 2019
UK house price growth "almost ground to a halt" in September, with property prices 0.2% higher than a year ago, the Nationwide has said.
- House price growth slowest for seven years, says ONS BBC
18 September 2019
UK house prices rose at a slower rate in the year to July than at any time since September 2012, up by 0.7%, official figures show.
- UK house prices and sales 'losing momentum' BBC
08 August 2019
House prices and sales are "losing momentum" amid Brexit uncertainty, surveyors say, although parts of the UK are still seeing property values rise.
- Home buyers 'move faster in Scotland but slower in London' BBC
06 August 2019
Scotland has replaced London as the fastest place for a seller to find a buyer for their home, figures suggest.
- Older owners 'stay put' in family homes, says Nationwide BBC
31 July 2019
Older property owners are staying put in the family home as the UK housing market continues to see low turnover.
- Top London home prices 'falling fastest' amid UK slowdown BBC
17 July 2019
Detached homes in London fell in value by more than £50,000 in a year, according to official figures, driving the slowdown in UK house price growth.
- Help to Buy: 'Most users did not need help report finds' BBC
13 June 2019
Almost two-thirds of homebuyers who used the government's Help to Buy scheme could have bought a home without it, an official report has said.
- House prices slip in May in subdued market BBC
31 May 2019
House prices in May fell 0.2% from April in what Nationwide building society described as a subdued market.
- Homeowners in England free to build bigger extensions BBC
25 May 2019
Homeowners in England are being given the green light to build larger extensions without planning permission.
- Tesco Bank to pull out of mortgage market BBC
21 May 2019
Tesco Bank is stopping new mortgage lending and is looking for ways to sell its existing mortgage portfolio.
- House prices 'rebounded in April' BBC
08 May 2019
UK house prices picked up in April following a fall in values the previous month, according to the country's biggest mortgage lender.
- House price growth at six-year low BBC
17 April 2019
House prices rose in February at the slowest rate since September 2012 while in London house prices fell, the Office for National Statistics said.
- House prices 'subdued' amid Brexit impasse BBC
05 April 2019
UK house price growth will continue to be "subdued" during Brexit uncertainty - particularly in London, according to the Halifax.
- First house price fall in England since 2012 BBC
29 March 2019
House prices are lower in England compared with a year ago - the first annual fall in property values since 2012, according to the Nationwide.
- Mortgage prisoners' given help by City regulator BBC
26 March 2019
A change of rules aimed at helping lower the housing costs of thousands of so-called "mortgage prisoners" has been proposed by the City watchdog.
- Home leasehold system needs reform, say MPs BBC
19 March 2019
The UK's leasehold system has left a number of householders in unsellable and unmortgageable homes and changes are needed, a committee of MPs says.
- Is buying with friends the future of housing? BBC
05 March 2019
With house prices having risen over the last decade, many young people have found it tough to get on the property ladder. Some are choosing to co-buy with friends, but it is not without its risks.
- Housing costs: Five surprises explained BBC
24 February 2019
The UK's housing market is changing. People are renting for longer and buying their first home later.
- Most mortgages go to first-time buyers, Halifax research shows BBC
23 February 2019
First-time buyers now make up the majority of home purchases bought with a mortgage in the UK, figures show.