Latest Mortgage & Property Market News
Here are the latest news from the BBC and the Council of Mortgage Lenders. Most recent press releases are listed first. Click on the title to read the full story.
- Shared ownership: Problems halved or doubled? BBC
24 September 2018
Thomas Paris was fed up. He was living in a "horrible ground floor flat" in Bristol and paying rent to a landlord with little inclination to spruce up the one-bedroom home.
- House prices rise fastest in North West BBC
19 September 2018
House prices in the North West rose the fastest in the UK compared with a year ago, according to official figures.
- House prices see summer slowdown, says Nationwide BBC
31 August 2018
Annual UK house price growth continued to slow over the summer with homes now 2% more expensive than a year ago, the Nationwide has said.
- House prices rise the fastest in West Midlands BBC
15 August 2018
House prices in the West Midlands rose the fastest in the UK compared with a year ago, according to official figures.
- Supply shortage could push rents up 15% says RICS BBC
09 August 2018
Rents could rise 15% by 2023 as the supply of new rental properties dries up, according to a survey by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
- UK house price growth accelerates, Halifax says BBC
07 August 2018
UK house prices picked up last month, rising at the fastest annual pace since November, the Halifax has said.
- Interest rates: Bank of England expected to increase base rate BBC
02 August 2018
At midday on Thursday the Bank of England is expected to raise interest rates for only the second time in a decade.
- UK house prices pick-up in July BBC
01 August 2018
The year-on-year rise in UK house prices accelerated in July, a major lender has said, with the cost of the average home at £217,010.
- Commitment to help 'mortgage prisoners' BBC
31 July 2018
Lenders will write to thousands of "mortgage prisoners" currently paying high interest rates with a potential offer to move to a better deal.
- Rise in lenders valuing homes below sale price BBC
23 July 2018
There has been a "significant" rise in homes being valued at less than what buyers have agreed to pay, the UK's largest mortgage advisers have said.
- Mortgage misery: The homeowners facing repossession BBC
20 July 2018
He used to be a London cabbie, while she ran a shop. But ten years after they took out a mortgage, Peter and Lisa King are now in debt by £500,000, and are due to have their home in Essex repossessed.
- Prices of flats stay unchanged for a year, says ONS BBC
18 July 2018
Millions of flat owners have seen no growth at all in the value of their homes over the past year, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
- Properties taking longer to sell in sluggish market, says RICS BBC
12 July 2018
Properties in the UK are taking longer to sell than a year ago owing to the "uninspiring" housing market, according to surveyors.
- UK house prices grow at slowest rate for five years BBC
06 July 2018
UK house prices rose at the slowest pace since March 2013 in the year to June, according to the country's largest lender, the Halifax.
- UK housing market lull drags into summer, says Nationwide BBC
27 June 2018
Annual growth in house prices fell to its slowest pace in five years as the lull in the UK housing market dragged into summer, the Nationwide said.
- Countrywide shares fall nearly 30% on profit warning BBC
25 June 2018
Shares in Countrywide, the UK's largest estate agent group, have fallen nearly 30% after it issued its second profit warning this year.
- House prices tumble in seaside hot spots BBC
22 June 2018
Affording a home in one of Britain's ritziest seaside towns has long been way out of reach, even for the moderately rich.
- The UK's rapid return to city centre living BBC
22 June 2018
A generation ago many UK city centres were dreary and dilapidated places, with a reputation for crime. Now, they are among the most desirable areas of the country to live. What's changed?
- Pace of house price growth slows BBC
07 June 2018
House price rises in the UK slowed in the year to the end of May - increasing by 1.9%, according to a lender.
- Housing market continues to cool BBC
23 May 2018
The pace of growth for UK house prices has continued to slow, while property in London had the weakest growth since 2009, official figures showed.