Latest Mortgage & Property Market News
Here are the latest news from the BBC and the Council of Mortgage Lenders. Most recent press releases are listed first. Click on the title to read the full story.
- Properties taking longer to sell in sluggish market, says RICS BBC
12 July 2018
Properties in the UK are taking longer to sell than a year ago owing to the "uninspiring" housing market, according to surveyors.
- UK house prices grow at slowest rate for five years BBC
06 July 2018
UK house prices rose at the slowest pace since March 2013 in the year to June, according to the country's largest lender, the Halifax.
- UK housing market lull drags into summer, says Nationwide BBC
27 June 2018
Annual growth in house prices fell to its slowest pace in five years as the lull in the UK housing market dragged into summer, the Nationwide said.
- Countrywide shares fall nearly 30% on profit warning BBC
25 June 2018
Shares in Countrywide, the UK's largest estate agent group, have fallen nearly 30% after it issued its second profit warning this year.
- House prices tumble in seaside hot spots BBC
22 June 2018
Affording a home in one of Britain's ritziest seaside towns has long been way out of reach, even for the moderately rich.
- The UK's rapid return to city centre living BBC
22 June 2018
A generation ago many UK city centres were dreary and dilapidated places, with a reputation for crime. Now, they are among the most desirable areas of the country to live. What's changed?
- Pace of house price growth slows BBC
07 June 2018
House price rises in the UK slowed in the year to the end of May - increasing by 1.9%, according to a lender.
- Housing market continues to cool BBC
23 May 2018
The pace of growth for UK house prices has continued to slow, while property in London had the weakest growth since 2009, official figures showed.
- Defusing mortgage timebomb 'like Space Invaders' BBC
17 May 2018
Targeting homeowners who have no plan to pay off their interest-only mortgage is like a game of Space Invaders, a banking trade body has suggested.
- Indecisive buyers 'scupper house sales' BBC
14 May 2018
Indecisive buyers are a common cause of property sales falling through before completion, a survey claims.
- Up to a third of millennials 'face renting their entire life' BBC
17 April 2018
Up to a third of young people face living in private rented accommodation all their lives, a new report by the Resolution Foundation has found.
- House price growth subdued in March, says Nationwide BBC
29 March 2018
Annual house price growth remained subdued in March, according to the Nationwide building society.
- Big landlords are trying to solve Britain’s renting mess BBC
25 March 2018
Most people in the UK rent from small private landlords, often amateurs, with mixed results. Big investors are now building thousands of properties especially for rent, but will they be a better option?
- Low-deposit mortgages make a comeback BBC
12 March 2018
Mortgage products allowing applicants to put down a deposit of just 5% have become much more common in the past year, figures show.
- UK house price growth lowest for 5 years, says Halifax BBC
07 March 2018
The rate of house price growth in the UK slumped to just 1.8% in the year to February, according to the country's largest lender, the Halifax.
- UK house prices fell in February, Nationwide says BBC
01 March 2018
UK house prices have recorded their first month-on-month fall since August, according to the Nationwide.
- Foxtons hit as London housing market ebbs BBC
28 February 2018
Estate agent chain Foxtons has reported a slump in profits as it warns of a London housing market near historic lows.
- New schemes to help Welsh homebuyers launched BBC
28 February 2018
Two schemes designed to help more people buy homes in Wales will be launched by the Welsh Government on Wednesday.
- Mid-earners 'locked out of buying a home' BBC
16 February 2018
The extent to which young people are locked out of the British housing market has been revealed in new figures from economists.
- First-time buyers 'at 11-year high' BBC
13 February 2018
More first-time buyers took out mortgages in 2017 than in any year since the financial crisis.